Other Charges and Costs

There are various other charges and costs involved when applying for residence in New Zealand, including:

Most of the above tests and certificates have a limited validity period for the purpose of Immigration. More information on these is available on the website of Immigration New Zealand (INZ).


Residence applicants will be required to sit the IELTS (International English Language Testing System) test to pass the English standards. To know more about the IELTS test, local IELTS Test Centers and to check the cost of sitting the IELTS test in your country of residence, please visit the official IELTS website.

Medical and Chest X-Ray Tests

All residence applicants will be required to provide Medical and Chest X-ray certificates as proof of meeting the specific health requirements. The cost of these medical tests will differ from country to country, and more details can be checked from the INZ website.

Police Clearance Certificates

All applicants aged 17 years or over must provide Police Clearance Certificates from their country of birth and from each country where they have lived for periods of 12 months or more during the last 10 years. There would be some cost associated with getting these, which will differ from country to country. Details on how to obtain the above can be found from the INZ website.

NZQA Qualifications Assessment

Points can only be claimed for a recognised qualification provided they occupy a level on the New Zealand Register of Quality Assured Qualifications, as set out by the INZ List of Recognised Qualifications or as assessed by the NZQA (New Zealand Qualifications Authority).

Further details on costs and procedures to get your international qualifications recognised for Immigration purposes are available at this NZQA website.

ESOL Tuition pre-purchase

Instead of meeting the minimum standard of English, non-principal applicants may pre-purchase ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) tuition. ESOL tuition must be pre-purchased from TEC (Tertiary Education Commission) by paying the required charge to the INZ (who collect this charge on behalf of TEC).

Details on the cost of ESOL Tuition pre-purchase are available on the INZ website.

Occupational Registration Fee

In New Zealand registration is required by law in order to undertake employment in certain occupations which are called as Registered Occupations.

Further details on the occupational registration and licensing requirements are available from the INZ website.

Costs of translating documents into English

All documents, certificates and transcripts submitted along with the residence visa application for New Zealand must always be in English.

In case any documents are not originally in English, the applicant might incur extra cost in getting them officially translated into English.